Sunday, April 21, 2013

Things left in seldom opened closets


Freshman year of high school I picked up the piano. I used to spend my breaks in a little closet of a music room, with my laptop positioned precariously on its top, and watch piano tutorials and think to myself “One day, I will be just as good as this guy.” The room was only a few inches longer than the piano, barely had enough space for me to scoot the stool back. I used to think, in those little moments of solace snatched between the general tedium of schoolwork, that I was actively engaged in finding myself. I played for several years, self-taught, with dwindling enthusiasm, until eventually the little electric Yamaha in my room became mostly relegated to the role of extended desk space, and I stopped visiting the closet. I've kept that Yamaha with me through several moves. Today I played it again, and I realized that I had forgotten almost nothing since I'd last played – I could still read, my fingers still remembered the songs I'd spent time learning, and I still screwed up in the same places. I realized that if I'd kept at playing all these years, with just an ounce of discipline, I would've been as decent as that guy in the videos.

When I was six or seven, my parents wanted me to learn the violin, but I stopped within two lessons, convinced it was boring. I own a guitar I only vaguely know how to play. My computer is filled with half-written stories, my desk filled with plans I never bothered to see through. Sometimes I look back at my brief existence and see a road of dead opportunities, of skills never achieved, of experiences never garnered, and I just get incredibly annoyed with myself, and I convince myself I will do better, but then I never do.

I often find myself in the position of feeling terribly unmotivated, and just as often it seems as if I'm surrounded by people with similar proclivities. While the characters I commit so much of my time to studying pursue their passions with a zeal encroaching on obsession, I consistently don't find that quality reflected in anyone I know personally, including myself. I generally chalk this up to my larger theory that television is a form of idealism, but then I remember that there are actual people – lots of people – who find the motivation to do things far more difficult than poke some keys for a few minutes every day. That being motivated isn't simply idealistic, and I can't excuse laziness through the actions of my peers.

Standing there today, going over the sheet music I'd printed out several years ago, I thought again of how easy it is to disappoint yourself. I remember most of the ways I used to project myself into the future: a famous paleontologist, trekking through the Gobi desert; a doctor; then a scientist. I used to see myself with capital letters behind my name, actively fantasized about how I would sign my paperwork and introduce myself. Used to think about my life split between a busy job and a quiet apartment, which I would fill with dulcet music and fairy lights and (eventually) multiple lovers. Now I try not to think about the future.

I don't forgive myself for my mistakes, but the thing about being unmotivated is that it has enabled me to live with disappointment. To accomplish much of anything, I often have to half trick myself, or I have to set up some sort of arbitrary award system. Read five pages? Excellent, take a break. Wrote a paragraph? Fantastic, watch through to ad break on Crossing Jordan. Establish a routine? Make sure I have to prove it by marking its completion on a calendar. It gets to the point where I wonder why I bother to engage in activity at all, if it's apparently so unenjoyable that I have to accept bribes from myself just to get it done. What amazes me is that no amount of self-hatred or screaming desire can seem to energize myself into doing anything. Why do I lament my lack of musical and artistic ability when I take no strides to improve them? Why can't the part of my head that understands and appreciates the difficulty of learning seem to establish communication with the part that controls basic motor function and concentration?

I suppose the answer lies in an extreme lack of discipline, established early on when my decisions to quit things despite lack of trying always went uncontradicted (though I refuse to be so trite as to blame my parents for my failures). Even the act of writing this rambling exposition is a form of procrastination, as I write this as a way to avoid working on the very things I've mentioned. But in defense, it does feel good to admit my weaknesses frankly and unapologetically, so that I may see rather nakedly how ridiculous I am. Maybe this is all just another trick – the act of admitting how pathetic I am publicly will cause me to remedy the situation out of shame (though one could debate how public an unread blog truly is). Or maybe I simply wanted to write about something, and through the myriad of possible topics, this one floated to surface. Whatever the cause, and whatever the result, all I can say for certain is that I almost always get a little melancholic when I watch Lindsey Stirling or Sherlock pluck their violins – and that sucks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment